Saturday, June 11, 2011

Anyone Else But You....



Today I had the pleasure of doing a wedding for Bob and Leah. They are a really sweet couple who had supported each other through some difficult times and they were so excited to be married!

When they told me they wanted to sing part of their vows, I have to admit, I was skeptical. Neither of them are 'singers' and Bob is even a bit quiet. They had chosen a song from the end of the movie Juno by the Moldy Peaches called "Anyone Else But You". They wanted to do regular spoken vows and then, with a friend accompanying them on guitar, sing the song as part of their vows. I helped them find where it would fit and went through it a couple times at the rehearsal.

At the rehearsal, both seemed a bit nervous and I a little concerned their voices would be too quiet or that they might forget the words.

But today they took that microphone between them, looked into each others eyes and did it. And it was touching, adorable and so much fun. The end of the song where the "do doo de do do de do doo do do do" part is they held the mic between the two of them with their heads leaned close together. It was an absolute moment. And when they finished their guests erupted into cheers and applause. It was so sweet. It was the first time I have ever done a wedding where guests applaud vows!

I have embedded video of the song up top for you to see.

And I think this brings home an important point. You (and your guests) want to share in something special up there. You want a moment. You don't just want to rush through to get to the party. You want words and actions that are meaningful, fun and personal. And you I also think you want an officiate up there who makes you feel at ease and helps you to create a moment.

Thanks to Leah and Bob for letting me a part of something new and share in your special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment